Collaboration on a production line
EUCRM suggests that five processes underlie development of new strategies. Poor group performance leads to greater individual confidence, and group communication. Confidence and communication then impact performance via new strategy.
- You think about a different approach (performance→confidence)
- You propose your ideas to the group (confidence→communication)
- You listen to each other’s ideas and create a strategy (performance→communication)
- When your contribution has been listened to, you are more motivated (confidence→performance)
- Communication means you understand what is happening, improving coordination (communication→performance)
This collectively supports the:
- opposing impact of performance on communication (Figure 6)
- opposing impact of performance on confidence (Figure 7)
- attracting impact of confidence on performance (Figure 8)
Evidence for the final impact is found in the easy participant’s adjustment of the group goal. To engage in the group task, they needed to feel some ownership over the strategy. For this reason, they adjusted the goal to better-suit their preference.